Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Retrieving GPS data from Sprint Aircard

The dot Net Framework has so much in it that it is more likely to have something than not.

I remember browsing over the "System.IO" namespace and being amused that it had:
"System.IO.Ports.SerialPort"

Thinking that my serial communication programming days were long over, I chuckled and moved on.

So I was surprised to find that the Sprint Aircards that we are using to stream video from Police Crusisers to the world, are exposing the GPS data continuously on com port. A little bit surprising because the connection is a USB port. So thanks to the dot Net Framework, I just have to write 16 lines of code and I now have location data.

Now looking for killer app here, I can pass this location information to MS Live Maps along with the donut parameter and I can bring up a map showing the police officers location together with nearest donut shops.

No comments: